Maintaining Your Smoke Detector
Smoke detectors are not something we pay much attention to during our day-to-day living, but they immediately become essential if a fire happens! Make it a priority to maintain your smoke detectors regularly so that they are always ready to alert you in the event of a fire.
Making Sure Your Smoke Detectors Work As They Should
- Make sure you know how old your alarms are, and test them monthly using the provided test button.
- Keep them clean and free of greasy build-up and dust, which could affect their performance. A scheduled cleaning will make sure your smoke detectors stay in good working order.
- Ensure that your smoke detectors are powered up and ready to go at all times and schedule battery changes so that they are always prepared to alert you whenever you need them.
- Your smoke detectors should all go off simultaneously in the event of a fire, so contact a professional to make sure they are all synced.
- Replace all smoke detectors, including those using 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, before turning ten years old. If they don’t respond correctly during a routine check, it’s definitely time for new units.
- Save and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for testing and maintenance of your units.
- A certified inspection entity should mark your smoke detectors.
Install Smoke Detectors In All The Right Places
- Every room in your home or business needs a smoke detector, any place where people will be, and where a product is stored, as well.
- Each unit should be securely fastened to its surface, whether it is a wall or a ceiling.
- Ensure that smoke detectors are in all areas where people spend time, from the bathroom to the warehouse of your business, and remember that customer waiting areas and public restrooms need to be outfitted, as well.
We care about your safety here at SERVPRO of Limestone & Lawrence Counties/Decatur so don’t hesitate to contact us for all your large-scale cleanup projects. We’re experts at handling water and fire damage, mold prevention and remediation, vandalism, and biohazards. Ask us how we can get your home or business cleaned TODAY!