Frozen pipe in Athens Al
A frozen pipe caused this water damage in Ardmore, Alabama during a winter storm. To avoid frozen pipes, follow these tips:
- Check around your home or business for areas where water supply lines are in unheated areas. Wrap exposed pipes with foam, insulated materials or pipe heating cables. Watch these locations on a daily basis when temperatures is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you are going out of town, and you suspect that temperatures will drop, turn off the water to your home and open all the taps to drain the water system. Set your temperature no lower than 55° F.
- Unhook the water hoses from the exterior of the home and bring them inside, to maintain their life.
- Drip your faucets, to reduce the build-up of pressure in the pipes during an arctic blast weather advisory.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much costlier repair job if pipes freeze and burst
- Open cabinet doors when temperatures are below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The warm air can circulate around the pipes and prevent the water from freezing.